Friday, November 20, 2009

A Lesson in Thankfulness

At the beginning of November, someone on Facebook challenged others to use their status update to give thanks for blessings in their lives, daily. As I began each day, I would contemplate and think of all of the blessings in my life that I am thankful for. My family, my health, my freedom... the list goes on and on. But what this challenge helped me to remember, was that, although I have these blessings, others sometimes don't. These reflections also helped me to put into perspective how often I take all that I've been given so for granted.

I was single for so long and prayed for a family of my own. So now, on the days when I have mountains of laundry, piles of dirt, dirty dishes, and NO ENERGY.. I remind myself that I waited for Dan, Christopher, and Cy, I prayed for them to come into my life. So now, I wouldn't trade them for a moment of peace or a perfect house. This has also reminded me to pray and believe for my friends, who are still patiently waiting and praying for God to bring them a Godly husband and sweet babies!

My family is also healthy... how often do we forget to be thankful for that blessing?! Sometimes it's a headline or overheard conversation about a sick child or someone's relative... I am so grateful for the health that we have been blessed with. This blessing reminded me that there are families that will celebrate Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years' in a hospital ... the gift they'll be hoping and praying for is that their loved one will make it just a little longer.

What I hope to accomplish during the upcoming holidays, is that we become a blessing to others who might not have a family, health, or much to be thankful for. Dan and I are planning on taking the boys to our local rescue mission. We've challenged the boys to pick out a toy of their own that they will donate to the missions. We're also going to plan a day to serve at a Ronald McDonald house. My prayer is that these small act of kindness will open our eyes to all that we've been blessed with and open our hearts to become an even bigger blessing to others. I have a feeling that at the end of those moments of serving, God will have planted even more of a desire to become a servant to all.

Happy Thanksgiving... take time to remember your blessings and challenge yourself and your family to find an area of need. Someone out there is praying that you will be obedient!

No comments: